Johann Jacob Geiser and Elisabeth Ryf arrived in New York City from Switzerland in the late 1860’s after the US Civil War. The family consisted of Jacob (47) a farm laborer, wife Elisabeth (44), their son Jacob (22) and three daughters named Elizabeth (19), Mary (17) and Alice (9). Elisabeth Ryf is one of three branches of the family of Johann Jakob Ryf and Anna Maria Simon of Bannwil, Oberaargau, Bern, Switzerland that immigrated to the Fosters Meadow area in the late 19th Century. In addition to Elisabeth, her sister Anna Maria Ryf’s son Johann (John) Ryf and her brother Caspar Ryf with wife Maria Pfister and their children also settled in the Fosters Meadow area.
Johann Jacob GEISER was born on 22 Oct 1823 in Walliswil bei Niederbipp, Oberaargau, Bern, Switzerland. Johann was a farm laborer when he first arrived on Long Island and later a farmer in Fosters Meadow. Johann had a farm as listed on the 1886 Beers maps and the 1891 Wolvert map listed for a J. Keiser. This farm is on Fosters Meadow Road just north of Central Avenue and south of Dutch Broadway. The 1870 census has the Geiser family listed under the name Jacob Keiser with his wife Elizabeth with children, Jacob, Elizabeth, Mary and Alice. In 1872 he was a communicant at St. Paul’s Church, today known as the Presbyterian Church of Elmont. He died of pneumonia in 1891 on 14 April, 1891 in Elmont, at the age of 67 and was buried 16 April 1891 in Plot 9 in the St. Paul’s Church Cemetery, Elmont, New York.
Elisabeth RYF was on 20 October 1826, Bannwil, Oberaargau, Bern, Switzerland
and was baptized 29 Oct 1826 in the Evangelisch-Reformierte Kirche Aarwangen, Switzerland. In 1872 Elisabeth was a communicant at St. Paul’s Church. Elisabeth and Johann were married on 27 August 1847 in Niederbipp, Oberaargau, Bern, Switzerland
Elisabeth died on 8 Feb 1904 in the Town of Hempstead, at the age of 77 and was buried 11 Feb 1904 in Plot 9 with her husband in St. Paul’s Cemetery, Elmont, New York.
Johann Jacob and Elisabeth had four Children:
Johann and Barbara had ten Children:
1) Charles Jacob GEISER Charles Jacob Geiser was born 15 May 1873, Fosters Meadow, Queens, New York. Married Birdena Olsen - 15 May 1901, Taylor, Loup, Nebraska. Charles is buried in Mount Hope Cemetery in Sargent, Nebraska.
2) John George GEISER was born on 31 October 1874 at Fosters Meadow, Queens, New York. John died on 9 August 1875 at Fosters Meadow, Queens, New York, Died of cholera infantum and was buried in St. Paul’s Church Cemetery.
3) Charlotte Agnes GEISER was born on 17 July 1876 in N. Creston, Ringgold, Iowa. She dies on 24 March 1947 at Emmett, Gem, Idaho.
4) George Andrew GEISER was born on 12 January 1878 in N. Creston, Ringgold, Iowa. George dies on 16 June 1955, Norfolk, Madison, Nebraska.
5) Mary Elizabeth GEISER was born on 28 March 1879 in N. Creston, Ringgold, Iowa. Mary died on 11 December 1899, Custer, Nebraska.
6) Ella B. GEISER was born on 14 August 1880 in N. Creston, Ringgold, Iowa. Ella died on 2 January 1966, Cheyenne, Nebraska.
7) Wilbur GEISER was born on 21 March 1882 in Sargent, Custer, Nebraska. Wilbur died on 20 August 1955, Custer, Nebraska.
8) Raymond GEISER was born on 28 August 1884 in N. Creston, Ringgold, Iowa. Raymond died on 3 November 1953, Broken Bow, Custer, Nebraska.
9) Alma Alberta May GEISER was born on 7 August 1888 in Sargent, Custer, Nebraska. Alma died on 11 March 1974, Lafayette, Contra Costa, California.
10) Jessie GEISER was born on 10 Septenber 1890 in Sargent, Custer, Nebraska. Jessie died on 16 March 1968, Orange, Orange, California.
1st Marriage – Elisabeth and Murie had two children together:
2nd Marriage: Carl Rudolf Albert HOHENSTERN He was born on 3 June 1860, in Lebbin, Pommern, Preussen in Pomerania, Prussia. He was a farmer in Queens, New York. A beautiful stained-glass window was installed in the St. Paul’s Church in memory of the “Hohenstein” family. Carl died on 12 June 1933, Queens, New York. Carl Rudolf Albert Hohenstern was buried in Plot 9 in the St. Paul’s Church Cemetery.
2nd Marriage - Elisabeth and Carl had three children:
1) George Albert HOHENSTERN was born on 31 Dec 1888, at St. Albans, Queens, New York. George married Sophie C. SCHAFFNER on 14 December 1924 in Queens, New York. George died on 21 January 1950, in Queens, New York. Sophie died on 9 November 1980 in Saint Petersburg, Pinellas, Florida.
2) Alice Ida HOHENSTERN was born on 23 February 1891 in St. Albans, Queens, New York. Alice married Gustave Ludwig PFALZER on 9 June 1912 in Queens, New York. Gustave was born on 31 December 1887 in Hollis, Queens, New York. Alice died in 1980 Walden, Orange, New York. Gustave died on 30 July 1963 in Allard Corners, Orange, New York.
3) Frederick Otto HOHENSTERN was born on 13 June 1896, in St. Albans, Queens, New York. Frederick married Marie Hazel SELIGMAN on 3 February 1924 at the St. Paul’s
Church. Marie was born on 13 October 1906 in the Town of Hempstead, Nassau, New York. Frederick and Marie were married on 3 February 1924 at the St. Paul’s Church. Frederick died on 31 March 1958
in East Rockway, New York and was buried Mar 1958 in Saint John of Jerusalem Cemetery in Wantagh, Nassau, New York. Marie died on 21 October 1985 in Massapequa, Nassau, New York.
3) Mary Ann GEISER was born on May 1854, Bern, Switzerland. She the third born child of Johann Jacob and Elisabeth Geiser. Mary died on 15 November 1926 in New York.
1st Marriage: Richard Frederick William ZELLER was born 12 May 1854 in Oldenburg, Prussia. On 22 March 1877, he married Mary Ann in St. Paul’s Church. Richard died of bronco-pneumonia from influenza on 31 January 1919, Brooklyn, Kings, New York. He was buried in Mount Olivet Cemetery in Maspeth, Queens, New York.
1st Marriage – Mary and Richard had one child:
2nd Marriage: John SIDLER b: abt 1860, Bern, Switzerland m: 1924
4) Louisa Alice GEISER was born on 12 January 1862, Bern, Switzerland. Louisa died on 6 April 1921, Greenville, Orange, New York. Louisa married George KAS (CASE) Sr. on 26
May 1884 in Manhattan, New York, New York. George was born 25 February 1857 in New York. George died on 23 Jun 1941, Kings, New York and buried in Greenfield Cemetery, Uniondale, Nassau, New
Louisa and George had three Children:
2) Leonard C. Kas was born on 10 May 1887 in Fosters Meadow, Queens, New York. Leonard Married Margaret RUECKHER on 21 June 1917, Kings, New York. Margaret was born on 11 Aug 1897, Kings, New York. Leonard died on 28 December 1952. Queens, New York. Leonard is buried as Leonard “Case” in Long Island National Cemetery in East Farmingdale, Suffolk, New York. Margaret died on 6 March 1998, San Antonio, Bexar, Texas and was buried with her husband in Long Island National Cemetery in East Farmingdale, Suffolk, New York.
3) Oscar Jacob Kas was born on 2 October 1893, Elmont, Queens, New York. Oscar married Grace E. CORNELL on 17 Nov 1919 in Queens, New York. Oscar died on 23 Mar 1957 in
Queens, New York. He is buried with his wife Grace in Greenfield Cemetery in Uniondale, Nassau, New York.
Prepared by Gerd Hemminger for Judith Jack Hemminger